Skip to main content

TAZ Story Hand Drip Coffee Workshop


Recently I've signed up for a hand drip coffee workshop with my best friend, Trina. It was a momentary decision so we didn't really know what we got ourselves into. Didn't even find out anything about the person who would be giving the workshop or anything about his company. We just paid and totally forget about it until like few weeks prior lol. Thank god we didn't schedule anything on that week lah.

So last Saturday, both of us went for the workshop like two budak bodohs (silly people)...
So the workshop was held at Bake For Fun (details about venue and other workshops that they hold *here*) and was hosted by TAZ Story. We were slightly late (actually we were the latest 😒) to the workshop coz we were waiting for our club sandwich lol. So paiseh (embarrassing) ok? The speaker had actually started speaking when we walked in.

We knew the workshop was going to be in Mandarin but we didn't expect to receive notes which are 100% in Chinese as well. I mean it was ok for me but F Trina Tay's L hahahahahaha. But she was fine lah coz she had her trusty Google Translator and her slightly more reliable than Google Translator best friend, me 😂😂😂

Forgot to blow dry my hair so it looks like 10 types of shit 💩

I swear we gave our 100% concentration during the workshop. This was taken during the break hehe.

This was on our table when we entered the workshop. Seasons Ice Lemon Tea as our beverage while listening to the speaker and a bag of gifts from our speaker and TAZ Story. I'll show you guys what's in the bag at the end of the post.

So anyways our speaker looks awfully familiar and I walked into the workshop. I couldn't stop staring at him coz I think I've seen him somewhere. I also couldn't stop staring coz he was damn good looking lah hahahahahah. In my mind I was like he looks like this Malaysian singer but I was so sure that it's impossible him. Why would a Malaysian singer be giving a workshop right?

Then I sent his pic to my friend, Joyce, to tell her that he looks damn yummy wtf. She was like: "Hey he looks like Thomas from TJ (a Malaysian duo)" That's exactly what I thought!!! So I went to did some digging and found out that...yes, he is Thomas from TJ. He is one of the founders of TAZ Story. Currently apart from being a singer/actor, he also goes around giving talks about coffee.

TBH it was super difficult to concentrate on what he says coz he's so darn good looking 😂😂😂 But I did lah ok? I have the notes to proof that I listened hahaha.


Thomas started off with some history and other theory stuff about coffee. Then he taught us how to do hand brewing using the V60. I'll show you guys a clearer pic of a V60 later on. But before that you'll see that he's using it in the pic. It's the thing that he's staring intensely in this pic above. If anyone wants to know how to use the V60, I think you could google and find a video on YouTube. I don't wanna post the video in case it's not allowed.

We had to go out one by one to hand brew a cup of coffee with Thomas guiding at our side 😍 I was actually panicking tbh. You guys already know I'm a 100% awkward person around strangers. With Thomas being so good looking, I'm sure to be stiff as a stick wtf.

Unfortunately for Trina when it was her turn to hand brew her coffee, Thomas decided to demonstrate another hand brewing technique. So instead of Thomas guiding her, Zen, his partner (I am guessing that she's his girlfriend), was guiding her. She was like: "Dammit lah" hahahahahahaha.

I didn't take pics of Thomas demonstrating hand brewing using the aeropress but for those who are interested in knowing what an aeropress is, here is a pic of it...
I feel like the aeropress is easier than the V60 when it comes to hand brewing. I prefer the V60 tho coz I find it more fun. Thomas mentioned that mostly men prefer aeropress coz it's easier but also requires a lot of strength to press the coffee out from the aeropress. I don't know about that lah coz we didn't get to try it. If any of you are interested on how to use it, again please google or look for a video on YouTube on how to use the aeropress.

I enjoyed a lil bit (literally a bit coz we had to share the whole cup among the whole workshop) of the coffee brewed by Thomas using the aeropress while I watch Nana brew hers hahaha. She didn't get to drink it btw. Kesiannnnnnnn... 😂

Then it was my turn. Look at my awkward face hahahahahaha. I was guided by Zen for the first step and then..

Thomas asked Zen to do something while leaving me looking even more awkward lol

Yup still awkward hahahahahah

Gotta thank Nana for all these awesomely awkward photos of me coz I'll never be able to capture it myself.


Look at me concentrating like a pro

I was trying so hard not to make any silly mistakes...which failed coz I did something damn fucking stupid. When Thomas asked me to go grind the coffee beans, I put the coffee beans in the grinder and started the machine without putting the container to hold the coffee powder that are coming out. Coffee powder flew everywhere fml. Other than that I think I did pretty well hehe.

I may sound like a creep saying this but Thomas has super good skin when I look at him up close. I wonder what's his skincare routine like wtf. Thank god I was concentrating on getting my coffee brewed right or else I would have drown in his super deep dimples wtf.

TBH if you asked me about TJ, I can tell you that I prefers the other guy, Jack. I think coz he is better looking on TV and other promotional pictures I've seen of them. But when I met Thomas in real life, I think Thomas is so much more good looking #shallow hahahahahaha. I might change my mind when I meet Jack in real life but for now, I'm totally in love with Thomas hahahahahahaahha.

The cup of coffee that I've brewed myself

I thought the coffee was not going to be as strong coz we lost some beans lol. But it is strong as hell ok. It kept me awake for work after the workshop all the way till the wedding dinner at night. Thank god it didn't keep me up awake the whole night lah. The caffeine was so strong that my hands were shaking. Maybe coz I don't usually drink black coffee like this lah.

Nana said that we are now certified baristas wtf

Oh I also have Thomas' signature. Yayyyyyyy wtf.

Of all days my bangs decided to look like crap when I'm taking pics with a celebrity. Thanks bangs! You ruined my life and pic 😐 But at least I've got a pic with some celebrity lol.

We took a group pic but it was not uploaded on Bake For Fun's FB page. So I couldn't save and keep it. Instead it was uploaded on TAZ Story's Instagram. The pic wasn't as nice as I hope to be tho. No need to keep lah like this lol.

Now let me show you guys what was in our gift bag...

There is a bottle of coffee beans from TAZ Story. I wanted to grind it during the workshop but was too late. I'll have to bring it over to John's place to borrow their grinder to do it d.

The aroma is super nice. Thomas mentioned that these coffee beans are stronger than the ones that he let us brew during the workshop. I better not drink it too late into the day coz I'll definitely not be able to sleep and probably be super high from it.

This is the V60 coffee dripper that I talked about earlier on. The one Thomas used and the same one that we used to brew our own coffee is from Hario which is supposedly a very well known coffee dripper brand. This one however, Thomas had it specially made for all the participants of the workshop. That's why it has TAZ Story's logo on it. It's a very memorable and useful gift in my opinion. I'll definitely be using this to hand brew coffee from now on.

That's my first experience of attending workshop of this sort... as in F&B related workshops. I previously signed up for a cooking class but got refunded coz the class got canceled 😅 This time I finally was able to attend an F&B related class I signed up for lol. Next time I'm planning to learn about other types of coffee brewing classes or even latte art sorta thingy. I think these types of classes are easier than cooking ones. Just gonna start with these first lah. I'll learn baking and cooking on my first before going for more advance classes.

Alright that's all for today's post. Not sure if I'll be posting anything new this week. So I'll probably see you guys next week. Let me go and plan what to put up next right now.

Till then...bubbye~ 😘

Comments